Sunday, August 9, 2009

VMA Noms- The (well my) Rundown

As soon as I heard Russell Brand was returning as host of the 2009 VMAs, I was all over that situation. The show airs September 13th (Bella's birthday!) and will have performances from Green Day, Taylor Swift (unfortunately not Lautner), Pink AND Muse! (Woohoo! It's about damn time MTV caught a hint!)

My favorite/the most ridiculous category is Best Video (That Should Have Won A Moonman) . This Ghost of VMAs Past lot- which spans over 20 yrs- includes The Beastie Boys, David Lee Roth, George Michael, Dr. Dre and Bjork. Can we say diversity? My vote is with Bjork's "Human Behaviour". First off, I love Bjork! (Who doesn't?) Secondly, she spends the 4:10 minute masterpiece (Yes, I'm making that bold claim.) fending off carniverous teddy bears and shrinkage of the non-Seinfeld variety. Director Michel Gondry produced a rare gem here.

"Human Behaviour"'s Carniverous Teddy! That's Bjork in the belly!



The most daunting category proved to be Breakthrough Video . Why are there so many damn nominees?!? It took me a solid 25 minutes to get through all of them. Hot kudos to MTV for variety (again) though. There was a definate Monster Madness trend in videos this year that I happily ate up. (Thus making the voting for only one harder.) It was a tough choice for me between the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Heads will roll", Anjulie's "Boom", Matt & Kim's "Lessons learned" and Major Lazer's "Hold the line". Lazer's vid has pimp Spaceghost-esque graphics, and I unhealthily dig "Boom", but I voted for "Heads will roll" based solely on the sexy deathtrap dance club concept of the vid. I thought I was the only one who turned into an evil ratfink uber killer when I hear a funky groove. (???)




Passion Pit wins my non-applicable vote for Best Band Name. Matt & Kim's "Lessons learned" wins my vote for Best Balls Out Video (Even though I made this category up, it sounds oddly doable for the 2010 show). This one would have definitely won my Breakthough vote, but the "Heads" video is too eerily close to my personal reoccuring carnage rampage dream/fantasy. Glitter for blood and confetti for guts- that's exactly how it will- would happen... if it weren't just a meaningless dream of course. It's a totally normal/non-psycho dream. I swear.

Also, big ups to my boy Drake (How exactly he is "my boy" is still TBD.) for a Best New Artist nod.(Check July 25th post titled "What the What?" for dets on Degrassi star turned rapper Aubrey "Drake" Graham.)


PS Why are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Deathcab for Cutie in the Breaktrough category??? They broke through some time ago MTV!
Wow, that was a mouthful. Now, let's hear your thoughts. How did you vote? Did you vote? There's still a month to go if you haven't.

BC Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment