Monday, August 31, 2009

Juliette Lewis goes all Courtney Love on us

I was just about to finally get to lunch (at 3:42pm!) when I caught a glimpse of Juliette Lewis' album art on Myspace (see photo to left) and pushed down my hunger pangs to share. It's really too ironic, hilarious and oddly fitting to see Lewis with a massive drum, Yankee Doodle styled to her chest.

The photo intrigued me enough to visit her MS page and take a listen. Her music (which I've successfully avoided up until now) is obviously a through back to Courtney Love's chick agnsty rock band Hole, with a touch of blues? The kicker: I don't mind. Maybe because I love and miss Hole (not necessarily Courtney), but the raspy mumbles of her album, Terra Ingcognita, don't seem posed or artificial. Although, possibly unforgivably inventive. I'm not even mad to see another bored celeb dabble in music- just impressed, actually. This one may be worth its effort.

In the tradition of- well only one band comes to mind- 30 Seconds to Mars, Lewis may have a, well not hit, but luke warm success on her hands. Jared Leto toiled for years to generate a legit rep for his theatrical emo rockfest 30STM, and it worked. Their followers- or should I say disciples- the Echelon (which proudly includes me) are a worldwide quasi underground juggernaut. Could Lewis generate the same street cred?

Despite 30's talent and prowess, the initial draw is still the deliciously guylined Jared. But they proved themselves by touring relentlessly, fans reaping the benefits of such labors. (Seriously, if you haven't seen 30STM live yet GO NOW! You will become a believer.) Lewis may have a tough road ahead of her seeing as quirky middle aged women just don't peak interest the way a skinny blue eyed man in skinny jeans does. Damn our society. LOL

I say: Kudos, Juliette. Keep on truckin'! The album drops September 14th.

BC Out!




No comments:

Post a Comment