Friday, November 20, 2009

Fresh off New Moon Viewing

OK, here it goes, I am fresh off seeing New Moon for the first time, and I have to say...it's difficult to type due to a cultivating number of issues i.e. malnourishment (Literally woke up and drove to the theater.), giddy fan girl mental TWI-stractions, shaky hands (This is either a side effect of previously noted malnourishment or massive doses of adrenaline.) and the uncontrollable urge to get back in my car and drive back to the Quality 16 for the 2:10 showing (If it weren't already sold out!).

First off, how awful do I feel for Jacob right now? Poor guy, it's like reading the books all over again. And, in the last scene, what Bella says to him...heartbreaking. Taylor Lautner definitely lived up to the hype his TW-ast mates were giving him. He
was Jacob Black. He made the When's Edward coming back?! feeling I had while reading NM feel like a distant apparition, which is what Edward was in the movie. We get a glimpse of him every time Bella decides to "act human," but he was sadly lacking in the film- which he should've been. The point is that you really experience the movie the way that Bella lives it. We have screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg to thank for that.

Now for my favorite part, it's kind of a tie, so I'll split them into visual favorite and emotional favorite. PS They are so
not what I expected them to be.
Visual favorite: The wolves chase Victoria. Chris Weitz's visual effects guys are sensational! The emotions reflected in wolf Jake's eyes perfectly represents his reluctance in facing his fate. The fiery crimson hair of the vengeful vamp juxtaposed against the mossy La Push (well, Vancouver) forest is beautiful to watch when it's coupled with Victoria's evasive maneuverings and a rabid pack of wolves on her tail. Huge BTW, Rachelle Lefevre aka Victoria has zero lines... Do with that what you will.
Emotional favorite: The ending. This was a tough one because I also loved the movie theater scene between Jacob & Bella while Mike's visiting the vomitorium, but the ending was so...there are no words that won't spoil the TW-abulousity out of it for anyone who hasn't had the privilege of seeing
NM yet. So, I'm just going to leave it at speechless. I'm speechless.

Two more things- one good, one kinda not. I'm going to say the kinda bad one first because I don't want to end on a sour note. It's not even that much of a complaint, and I probably wouldn't even have it if I wasn't so in love with Carter Burwell's Twilight score, but the music was kind of unfitting to me. Where were the bass driven electric guitars that so perfectly expressed the angst and animalistic draw? Alexandre Desplat's score just felt, well, very Golden Compass. What does that mean? Too whimsy, I guess. I know everyone kept saying "It looks so much different from Twilight," but I thought it only sounded different. Really my only complaint though.

Now for the final drop of TW-oodness. I must say, Melissa Rosenberg addressed October through December absolutely exquisitely. (They were blank pages with just the word "October," "November" and "December" on them in the book, in case you had a lobotomy). The song choice ('Possibility' by Lykke Li), the arc camera angle, the voice overed emails to Alice, time passing outside Bella's bedroom window; it was agonizing to watch. In a good way!

As I mentioned before, the viewer really lives the story through Bella. More so than I think we did in Twilight. When I was reading the book [NM], I just wanted to get to the end so I could see Edward again, but watching the movie was like a few months in Bella's manic depressive hiking boots. Really could we as TWI-Hards asked for anything more?

Well, that's it, I'm done rambling on and on about New Moon, and I even managed to do it without mentioning the wonderfully enhanced vamp eyes and Jacobs abs. Damn, well, almost. LOL I'm off to hopefully find something to keep me occupied enough that I don't indulge in round two...any suggestions?

BethDazzled

No comments:

Post a Comment